You can get your posture checked out at BIHC for £25, but this month only we are offering 50% off so it’s only £12.50. “But why” I hear you ask, “should I worry about my posture?”
Here are five reasons you might want to take notice and sit up straight.
- Energy conservation: Sitting, standing and moving around with good posture places a lower demand for energy on your muscles as a more upright posture requires less muscle power to keep you in position.
- Back health: Prolonged sitting is really not very good for you, but if you sit with good posture you reduce the pressure on the lumbar spine, including the discs, joints, ligaments and muscles. This will reduce the likelihood of developing problems such as low back pain, slipped disc and sciatica.
- Breath: Good posture allows your chest to open so that you can breathe more freely. This increases the oxygen supply to your brain, as well as the rest of thew body, which can only be a good thing!
- Circulation: As long as your heart is healthy it will be pumping blood effectively to all parts of your body, but poor posture may impede the return of blood from your legs and feet. This is because the action of the veins in the legs depends in part on the pumping action of the diaphragm. A slumped, constricted posture will prevent the diaphragm from moving fully and this in turn reduces its ability to pump the blood back up through the veins.
- Mental health: A recent study at the University of Auckland found that your posture can affect your ability to cope with stressful tasks. The researchers instructed people to sit in either an upright position or in a slumped position and then gave them a stressful task to do. Afterwards the upright group reported higher self-esteem, as well as “feeling more enthusiastic, excited, and strong, while the slumped participants reported feeling more fearful, hostile, nervous, quiet, still, passive, dull, sleepy, and sluggish.”
So if you’re concerned about your posture, give me a ring on 01234 409538 and take advantage of my October offer: a posture check for only £12.50. Or email me on email@example.com
Sorrel Pindar, Registered Osteopath